Sunday, September 11, 2011

Transportation

Like most boys, mine LOVE things with wheels! I saw the Transportation Pack from Homeschool Creations last spring & knew it was something I had to do with my boys! The activities are so colorful & inviting that my 3 year old Rylan didn't want to stop "playing school!"

Reading, Writing, & Spelling

Here are the fun books we read this week to go with our transportation theme.


At the Resource Center I found a Wheels On The Bus book & felt bus complete with the people & items on the bus that go along with the song. I really wish I would have recorded Rylan singing while he played with it!


After reading some of the books, we began the week by going over our transportation words & pictures. Rylan matched the pictures together.


Here are the boys practicing their writing skills. Ry traced various kinds of lines by "flying" the airplane to the cloud & Brady practiced writing the upper & lower case letters that began his transportation words. He also practiced writing his sight words in salt, which he just thought was COOLEST thing! :)




Math/Shapes/Colors/Puzzles
I printed off the train below from Making Learning Fun. Brady practiced counting by 5s & 10s with it by lining the cars up in the correct order. He also used the train printable from Homeschool Creations to practice his ODD & EVEN numbers. Anything involving trains is sure to keep my boys focused!



Brady used transportation counters to help with his subtraction work & the boys both sorted them by vehicle & color & made patterns with them.


I found these AWESOME shapes from Making Learning Fun that looked like roads. I had Rylan drive his car on them to trace the shape while we went over the names.


He also matched the transportation pictures to their shadows & put together small 3 piece puzzles of them too.




Crafts, Games & MORE!

If you read my blog often you know I'm a sucker for a good craft! I let the boys use various kinds of plastic transportation toys & sponges to paint with & use transportation cookie cutters to play with their play-doh.



They also played their Cars game on their Clickstart Computer from Leap Frog. This was their reward for working hard during school!


Brady had his Geography Co-op this week & while he worked on coloring his continents & oceans we discussed the different ways we could travel to each one from where we live.


Brady is in 1st grade, but even though the packs say preschool, they have MANY activities that are applicable for him. Brady also carries on with his other 1st grade work, but I try to incorporate as much of the themes I'll be doing with Rylan into Brady's curriculum to spice it up & make it fun for him too :)

I hope you all have a blessed week!!!

4 comments:

  1. I think my girls would love these activities too! What a fun week learning about transportation and things that go.

    I am a new follower from the No Time For Flashcards Link and Learn. If you have a chance stop by www.messforless.net and say hi!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My youngest would LOVE these activities! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your boys are adorable, looks like a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful internet site! I am loving it!! Will be back afterwards to read some much more. I am taking your feeds also
    Transportation To Galveston Cruise Terminal
    airport transfer houston

    ReplyDelete